Sunday 18 January 2015

I'm FINALLY learning to spin!

I bought my spinning wheel a little over a year ago - as soon as I got some money after Christmas.  My eagerness was killed slightly when I met up with a rather discouraging woman to try and get some spinning tips.  One year later and I'm finally getting down to learning how to use it - on my own - with the help of Youtube and a book that a couple of friends gave me.

There is no point in having this great big spinning wheel taking up room in my bedroom, I thought to myself, if I'm never even going to use it!  I'd never get rid of it as I'm actually quite proud of it.  I got an Ashford Kiwi 2 as it was advertised as being for beginners and I am a complete beginner.  It was also the cheapest I could find - and that must be taken into account!

The first bit of yarn that I spun that didn't curl up on itself entirely was incredibly bumpy and full of imperfections.  Despite this, I was so amazingly proud of myself, I took a picture of it and posted it on Facebook!!


Ok, I know it's not great - but I was delighted!

So, here are the videos that I found really useful!  I watched them a couple of times, going back to the bits that I had difficulty with - until I finally got something that slightly resembled yarn!

Ashford Learn to Spin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j46E58DM-fo

How to Spin Yarn on a Wheel - Absolute Beginner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RleG5oifdRo

Spinning on an Ashford Kiwi Wheel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97tkZKgFJKU

I'm hoping that, over the next few months, I'll get better and better and finally be able to use the beautiful Hebridean fleece that is hanging up in the shed!

No comments:

Post a Comment